“First Unitarian Society: A welcoming, inclusive community to feed the human spirit, to inspire compassionate action, and to serve as a beacon for justice and love.”
“Together we seek to grow as a vibrant presence in our community through sharing our welcoming faith and working to build a just world.”
Social Justice Work at First U
Social justice work is core to what we do at First U. We start by showing up. Look for us wearing our blue First Unitarian shirts.
Examples of Recent Activities:
- Donation of all plate collections to organizations that support our mission
- Share our Table and Feed Our Neighbors-Check out our Food Ministry Page!
- Presenting Criminal Expungement workshop with New Jersey Legal Services
- Partnering with JFK Hospital programs to provide mental health assistance
- Hosting local non-profits and community programs such as Hackensack Meridien Plainfield Connections, Narcotics Anonymous, Team Endurance, Plainfield Vikings, Decarcerate the Garden State, and O.P.E.N. and many others
- Hosting Plainfield’s World Aids Day 2015 and 2016 in support of Iris House and the Hyacinth Aids Foundation
- Partnering with Iris House to host regular HIV testing in Plainfield
- Welcoming and supporting arts organizations events such as the Plainfield Symphony, Dreamhouse Theater Company, Empower Arts, Inc., The Quincy Project, duCret School of Art, the Plainfield Musical Club and The City of Plainfield Theatre Projects
- Hosting an evening of free films in Plainfield for the 2016 and 2017 Women in Media-Newark Film Festival
- Presenting the Second Friday Film Series and Discussions
- Presenting a Panel Discussion on Refugees and Resettlement with the Union County Interfaith Coordinating Council
- Hosting the Mental Health Matters Panel Discussion with Ruach Outreach Ministries
- Donating archival materials to the Plainfield Public Library
- Participating in Interfaith marches, vigils and workshops to raise awareness of racial inequality, environmental destruction and gun violence.